• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Sparkle, Patty, sparkle!

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
PattyToday.jpg

We knew her as Patty Duke. Anna Pearce of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho died this morning and for me this is one of those celebrity deaths that feel like a personal loss. I would love to hear how you all remember her (if at all). These are some of my memories

PattyMiracleWorker.jpg

The Miracle Worker

Like most of the world in 1962, I first saw her as Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker, her most famous role. Patty as Helen is a cunning feral animial of a child, holding her own opposite the great Anne Bancroft. She won an Oscar, at 16 the youngest actress at that time to win the award. If you haven't seen this movie, by all means, find it.

PattyDukeShow.jpg

The Patty Duke Show

This was one of my favorite shows growing up. Many generations since have found it and been charmed by her playing two identical cousins. I know, the premise was kind of unbelievable, but you have to put that in context. Compared to Bewitched, My Mother the Car, or Gilligan's Island it was Chekov.

PattyValley.jpg

Valley of the Dolls

It's the best bad movie ever made. Today it's a camp classic, best seen with a roomful or theater full of fags (to quote one of the awful script's most overused words). It was supposed to get Patty out of her girl-next-door image, but making it was hell and the reviews were worse. However later, Patty credited her gay fans with helping her see the film in a different perspective. “I’ve come to enjoy that movie — not that it’s not still embarrassing," she says. "But thanks to the gay community, I can see it in a different way and have a good time with it.”

Patty_Duke_1975.jpg

Me, Natalie and My Sweet Charlie

Patty did manage to get adult roles in small films and TV movies and re-make her career. Me, Natalie earned her a Golden Globe and My Sweet Charlie her first of three Emmys.

PattyLucy.jpg

In the late 60's and early 70's Patty seemed to be the stereotypical child star out of control. She partied, taunted the press, and had a very public on-off affair with Lucille Ball's son Desi Arnaz Jr, who was several years younger than she. She seemed particularly out of it when she won her Emmy - leading to rumors that she was drunk or high.

She seemed to settle down when she married John Astin (Gomez from The Addams Family) and had her sons, Sean (Goonies, Rudy and Lord of the Rings) and Mackinzie (Facts of Life). She continued to work primarily in television movies and series.

PattySean.png

Anna with son Sean Astin.

She was elected the head of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), and she produced a TV version of The Miracle Worker, this time with her playing the Anne Bancroft role, and Melissa Gilbert as Helen. (Fun Fact: Melissa Gilbert would later follow Patty's footsteps again to become president of SAG.)

PattyMelissaMW.jpg

With Melissa Gilbert in The Miracle Worker, 1979

In private, though her behavior was still out of control. It killed her marriage, and almost ended her life and her relationship with her sons. It was then that she was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and started taking medication - which transformed her life. She remarried (Michael Pearce, a firefighter) and moved with him to Idaho.

In the 1990's she published her autobiography My Name is Anna, which detailed her career as well as her struggles with bi-polar. She went on to become a advocate for mental health.

One of her last roles was on the TV series Glee. She and Meredith Baxter played a lesbian couple that mentor Kurt and Blaine through a difficult time. This harkens back to a time when she was an early advocate for AIDS causes and gay rights.

PattyGlee.jpg

My prayers go out to her husband Michael, sons Sean, Mackinzie, and Kevin, and the rest of her family and grandchildren. We see so many people achieve fame, and then burn out. Anna struggled, but never stopped fighting her way back and ended up getting back what had been taken from her in her youth - a family that loved her.

As a final tribute, here is a segment from the 20/20 news program in 2004 with Anna, Sean, and Mackenzie alll talking about coping with the effects of living in a bi-polar household.

Last edited:

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
My dad is collecting since a very long time autographs from celebrities around the world.
And in his collection he has too a signed pic from the late Patty Duke-Astin. Here it is....

Last edited:

xenos

Reaction score
I once heard her speak in person about her battles with bipolar disease. I also read her book My Name Is Anna.