• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Garbo Talk

darkjimster

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
So i bought Greta Garbo The Signature Collection which include the movies Anna Christie, Anna Karenina, Camille, Mata Hari, Ninotchka and Queen Christina and Camille (1921) with Rudolph Valentino so having only seen Anna Christie and not being that impressed by her acting skill i was wondering if she was famous for being a great actress or for being a great beauty. I'm also wondering if her early retirement is a big part of the Garbo legend. Why did she retire so early was it because acting wasn't her live or did see realize compared to other actresses of her time she wasn't that great. So i hope the other movies are going to be better and if not it only cost me 18,99 euro

8oclockcoffee

Reaction score
Unfortunately, she wasn't a great actress. Her face was intriguing, which was important in silent films, but her exotic mystique in the public eye was more responsible for her box office success than anything else.

Others who were good in silent films and made a successful transition to 'talkies' are Joan Crawford who was hugely popular in silent classics like Our Dancing Daughters, and then of course having a legendary career in sound pictures, including Mildred Pierce, Humoresque, Strange Cargo, Possessed (two different films by that name, one with Clark Gable, and one later on--not a remake, a totally different story), The Women, and many others. Barbara Stanwyck also made some good silent films before moving on to classics such as the great film noir Double Indemnity. Gloria Swanson was perhaps the biggest silent era star alongside Greta Garbo, and Gloria went on to do one very good talking picture: Sunset Boulevard.

My favorite Greta Garbo picture is Grand Hotel. It takes advantage of her public image as a legend, but since it's an ensemble film, and she is surrounded by great talent, there is no problem of Garbo needing to carry a picture on her own. Joan Crawford is in this film with her (no scenes together, however) along with Lionel Barrymore, John Barrymore, and Wallace Beery.

I think Garbo had enough sense to realize that her star was beginning to dim as Joan Crawford's popularity soared at MGM in the 1930s, plus Irving Thalberg at MGM was giving more and more great roles to his wife, Norma Shearer, so Garbo wisely reduced her projects and then retired altogether. Then she became a living legend for the remainder of her days.