• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

The Dark Underbelly Life Of The Male Modeling World

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
It's probably a good thing I'm not one of the fashion designer's 'examining' these models. I'd probably be missing a few teeth and/or paying a lot of settlements. Just kidding... of course ;)

The Dark Underbelly Life Of The Male Modeling World
YahooStyle | By Tim Murphy | Sep 11, 2014

MaleModels.jpg

Photo Courtesy of Corbis

Terry Richardson’s studio behavior sparked a fashion-world conversation about the sexual harassment of female models. Meanwhile, their male counterparts are getting manhandled regularly…but can’t boys fend for themselves?

On a recent September weekday during New York’s Fashion Week showing the Spring 2015 collections, editors, buyers and other honchos on the male side of the fashion world—most of them gay men who all seemed to know one another, many of them in mid-thigh tailored shorts and sockless oxfords—milled through a series of rooms at Industria, the photo studios in downtown Manhattan. Lubricated with drinks from a free bar, they perused presentations from various designers. In every room, male models—almost uniformly tall, rail-thin, white, Northern European-looking and twentysomething—stood in formations, nearly immobile, their chisel-cheeked faces impassive. Industry types examined and occasionally approached them, feeling the fabric of their form-fitting garments and sometimes turning back lapels or hems to look at stitching and construction.

In one show, the designer himself ushered over two other men to look at the details of the pieces being worn by one model. The two men accompanying the designer murmured and nodded their heads appreciatively. Then, as the trio was walking away, the designer gently and briefly caressed the model’s neck. It was a gesture that, whatever its intentions, clearly had nothing to do with stitching or construction.

The moment was fleeting, likely innocent, but it provided a glimpse into an aspect of the industry that is usually only whispered about: sexual advances, let’s-make-a-deal suggestions or downright harassment of male models, usually (though not certifiably always) by gay male photographers, designers, casting agents or other industry poobahs. In a year in which the famous fashion photographer Terry Richardson has seen mounting allegations of sexual harassment against him by a string of former female models, culminating in a New York magazine cover story and a very public discussion about the sexual abuse of female models, the male side of the equation has gone virtually undiscussed.

Yet as I talked the past few weeks with scores of male models, casting agents and other industry insiders—most of whom demanded anonymity—it became clear that various levels of harassment, from inappropriate comments and touching to surprise requests to disrobe and explicit quid-pro-quo offers (accept my come-ons and I’ll advance your career), happen every day to male models, creating a troubling subtextual power dynamic that echoes its counterpart on the female side of the business.

One thing’s clear: Nobody really wants to talk about it—often, least of all, the (still mostly straight) male models themselves, who aren’t comfortable using the same language of sexual harassment that the women’s side of the casting call is only just now acclimating itself to.

"Harassment definitely happens," says a men’s agent at a top agency, "more so than a lot of the guys like to tell us. A lot of them come back from shoots feeling very uncomfortable but they’re afraid that if they tell us, we’ll have to talk to the client. Then, if it gets back to the culprit, he, depending on his status, could actually destroy that model’s career."

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
"Dark underbelly", my ass! Has anyone noticed that there is no story here?

• There are no lawsuits.
  • No has claimed to be harmed.
  • A fashion event is described in tawdry terms, only to admit that nothing uncomfortable happened there.

So what's the evidence for this epidemic?
  • An anonymous person has heard (second hand) that unnamed people have been harassed.
  • Oh, and here's the real smoking gun: no one is talking about so that means that there an epidemic of booty grabbing and a conspiracy to keep it out of the trades.

I am sure pretty young things are pressed for extra services. But they can go to the police just like the big girls do.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Topdog your post got me thinking about those poor male models again. If only I could grab sum uh dat boo-tay for a living. The life of those models and fashion designers sounds rough.

As usual your remarks are right on target. No lawsuits, no complaints from alleged victims and no 'smoking gun' evidence of any kind.

Still my imagination just salivates over the thought of being backstage with all those "...male models—almost uniformly tall, rail-thin, white, Northern European-looking and twentysomething—stood in formations, nearly immobile, their chisel-cheeked faces impassive..."

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
Imagine this is not in the glamourous world of fashion. Say your'e a junior in a parcel depot or a tyre factory. The manager knows you are scared of losing your job so he takes any liberty he can with you, sexual or otherwise. As topdog says there's always the police, they are sure to take your word over that of Mr Respectable the party donator.
Normaly I abhor violence but in this case a black eye would be something for his wife to talk about.

Dargelos again I totally agree with you. And sure there will be the police, and perhaps they will believe you and "take your word over that of Mr. Respectable". A little bit I would disbelieve it.

I'd like to think that these models are not leading figures in the model business.
And so I think if they would open their mouth for an accusation their career will find an abrupt end.

And as well I think they will need the money. Perhaps they have nothing learned and the only fund they have is their beauty. And we know beauty is only for a short while - so as long as possible they will try to sell their beauty - like, yes it will sound very vicious, prostitutes.

mikey11

Reaction score
This article is almost like trolling.

But this rings true though: " In every room, male models—almost uniformly tall, rail-thin, white, Northern European-looking and twentysomething"...It's the fashion world setting the standards of male good-looks.

What's a short, bit chubby, dark skinned, thirtysomething guys to do?

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Sex sells everything better, lol. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. If one feels they are on the outside looking in it's up to them to find a way to be more appealing to others. You cannot legislate something like aesthetics. You cannot force people to find you attractive. People want what they want.

This thread isn't the best place for a discussion about equality and aesthetics. I think it's a good topic for discussion so I'll start a new thread for it :)

F

frontlemon

In India, male models do face the same kind of predicament and what's worse is that the homophobes use it as a tool to promote their agenda. Note that in a male sovereignistic country like India, disgrace to male often becomes the top-talk while that to women are wholeheartedly ignored both by the general public as well as the media.