• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

An Open Letter to David Cameron and the IOC By Stephen Fry

sunandmoon

Reaction score
I think a boycott is unrealistic as is moving the games elsewhere.
The IOC will do nothing - except maybe threaten athletes with fines and disqualifications should any of them decide to publicly show support for gay people.

But hopefully there will be enough public noise around the issue.

I am not buying into the argument that the interests of sportsmen should be a priority - it was not as some others mentioned when the Moscow olympics were boycotted. It was not when South African sportsmen were not allowed to participate in sports events.

Ideally sportsmen themselves should make it known that persecution of gay people is wrong. I am sure some will. But I do not hold my breath since there is still a lot of homophobia in sports

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Moving Olympics less then a year before they begin is the same as canceling them.

If only one athlete loses his chance to participate or set a new record in his discipline, then my point is right!

Besides, we all know that Olympics will be held in Sochi, and this arguing will make no difference.

Unfortunately.

So one athlete not getting to compete is a bigger tragedy than one gay person being beaten to death while the police turn a blind eye?

You are putting sport above LIFE, and I can't agree with that. Sport is not actually even NEARLY as important as life, and to pretend it is strikes me as shockingly dismissive of real and actual human suffering.

Compared to the millions of gays in Russia, even a thousand athletes are irrelevant.

B.

MrMonkey

Reaction score
So one athlete not getting to compete is a bigger tragedy than one gay person being beaten to death while the police turn a blind eye?

I never said that. So, you think if we boycott the Games beating of gay people and political opponents will stop? That's pretty childish thinking...

You are putting sport above LIFE, and I can't agree with that. Sport is not actually even NEARLY as important as life, and to pretend it is strikes me as shockingly dismissive of real and actual human suffering.

Your conclusion that I'm putting anything above life is wrong, and forgieve me for saying this, a little bit insulting and disgusting - especially since I'm a heatlh worker.

No. I'm putting sport above politics, as it should be. Any kind of politics. Besides, as I recently read IOC won't allow the Games to be a platform for making political statements of any kind.

Athletics is athletics is athletics. It shouldn't be turned into political or any kind of other rally.

Compared to the millions of gays in Russia, even a thousand athletes are irrelevant.

It's easy to say that, when you have nothing to lose.

Boycotting the Games will do ALMOST NOTHING for gay people in Russia. It could do the opposite - turn the majority more against them. People will look for someone to blame for the loss of the Games...

Some of you think it's so easy: we just come to Russia, paint a rainbow or two and everything will change over night... I'm sorry but that doesn't work that way.

I've experineced the horrors of war and I know freedom doesn't come cheap! It requires struggle and sacrifice. A lot of it. So don't be naive, this is not a bad soap where everything ends well, this is real life, and it should be dealt with pragmatically like everything else.

Last edited:
S

Sinnerr

I kinda agree with you. But telling that gay rights or human rights at all are politics it's disgustingly cynical to me (even if I'm a big cynic myself).

MrMonkey

Reaction score
I kinda agree with you. But telling that gay rights or human rights at all are politics it's disgustingly cynical to me (even if I'm a big cynic myself).

Unfortunately, even the food I buy in the store has been turned into politics. So, politics is almost everywhere.

Besides, "human rights" and understanding what it means by different cultures is a political agenda. Thousands and thousands of people all over the world die for that. Some as martyrs, others as "collateral damage".

It's bad enough that sport has been corrupted with money and drugs.

And yes, I'm a cynical and sarcastic one. In all things. :)

Last edited:

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
MrMonkey - politics is life. Politics affects everyone, compared to politics, sport is an irrelevant circus. The reason Russian gays are being horribly persecuted is politics.

I think you have lost sight of the forest for the trees - boycotting the games will not achieve anything IN ISOLATION, but that is true about every political protest. You have to look at the bigger picture, and a boycott of the games AS PART OF A LARGER CAMPAIGN most certainly would be a big deal, and a big brick in a larger wall.

Many Irish supermarkets joined the boycott of South Africa to end Apartheid. You could use your argument to say that Dunnes Stores boycotting South Africa had no effect, but when you look at that one store as part of the larger campaign, suddenly their actions make a LOT of sense. When combined with everything else that was being done in parallel, Dunnes Stores helped end Apartheid.

I think it's wrong to look at any one political protest in isolation - you need to look at the bigger picture.

The simple fact is that there is not a single possible one thing that will fix Russia, the ONLY approach is to chip away at the problem with lots and lots of actions to keep the pressure on, and the issue in people's hearts and minds. In that context, a boycott of the games would be massively effective.

B.

MrMonkey

Reaction score
MrMonkey - politics is life. Politics affects everyone, compared to politics, sport is an irrelevant circus. The reason Russian gays are being horribly persecuted is politics.

I think you have lost sight of the forest for the trees - boycotting the games will not achieve anything IN ISOLATION, but that is true about every political protest. You have to look at the bigger picture, and a boycott of the games AS PART OF A LARGER CAMPAIGN most certainly would be a big deal, and a big brick in a larger wall.

Many Irish supermarkets joined the boycott of South Africa to end Apartheid. You could use your argument to say that Dunnes Stores boycotting South Africa had no effect, but when you look at that one store as part of the larger campaign, suddenly their actions make a LOT of sense. When combined with everything else that was being done in parallel, Dunnes Stores helped end Apartheid.

I think it's wrong to look at any one political protest in isolation - you need to look at the bigger picture.

The simple fact is that there is not a single possible one thing that will fix Russia, the ONLY approach is to chip away at the problem with lots and lots of actions to keep the pressure on, and the issue in people's hearts and minds. In that context, a boycott of the games would be massively effective.

B.

We all know that the Games will be held in Sochi, as they were held in Beijing...so this "academic" debate..no one will hear it... there are 60k+ registered users here, and only few of us wrote anything about this... :(

tonka

Super Vip
Reaction score
Russia seems pretty immune to economic boycotts. Natural gas, oil, coal, timber, military hardware. These are what props up the regime. Other countries will buy these if it is in their interest to do so. The EU will be buying natural gas from Russia whatever happens to Russians at home.

ihno

Daughter of Deuterium
Reaction score
Last edited:

Oege

Reaction score
Sorry if I cross a line here but I thought this pic to be funny :)

Oege

Reaction score
Tonka said:
The EU will be buying natural gas from Russia whatever happens to Russians at home.

You are ever so right my friend, natural resourced (or lack of it) lead to many wars and also lead to many countries stay silent of they knew something horrible happened in the country of their business partner...

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Russia seems pretty immune to economic boycotts. Natural gas, oil, coal, timber, military hardware. These are what props up the regime. Other countries will buy these if it is in their interest to do so. The EU will be buying natural gas from Russia whatever happens to Russians at home.

You're right that the economic forces are strong, but they are not infinite, enough pressure on each EU government could change that, but it would have to be strong and sustained. People would have to REALLY connect with the issue, which would mean a long campaign with lots and lots of things happening for week after week after week.

I wouldn't bet on it happening, but it's not impossible, and I'll do my bit all the same.

B.

tonka

Super Vip
Reaction score
The track and field championships are in Moscow this week. Nick Symmonds won the silver medal. Nick is known as "the Brad Pitt of the running world" and had a date with Paris Hilton. Not a shy guy.
He dedicated his medal to all his many gay and lesbian friends.

There was also a dust up when two Swedish athletes painted their nails as rainbows, and were rebuked by Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva.

Oege

Reaction score
Just a reminder of the Olympic Handfest:

Item 6:

"Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement".

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Just a reminder of the Olympic Handfest:

Item 6:

"Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement".

Surely that means Russia should be ejected from the IOC for breach of the rules?

B.

Oege

Reaction score
gb2000ie, Yes it does, or put on hold like they did with South Africa some years ago...

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
gb2000ie, Yes it does, or put on hold like they did with South Africa some years ago...

The comparison to South Africa is very appropriate I think, there you have a bunch of people being treated as sub-human simply because of an accident of their birth, and that is exactly what Russia is starting to do!

B.

Oege

Reaction score
Last edited: